[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Thumping noise in drivetrain

Folks,

I confess, I'm a newbie to beemerland, having bought my first, an '88
735i four months ago.

Over the past month, the car has developed a thumping noise that starts
at about 15 mph and quiets at 20 mph.  After the transmission shifts
gears the thump resumes, only at a faster rate at about 30 mph and quits
again before 40 mph.  Temperature makes no difference, and while thumping
a slight, non-localized vibration can be felt under the seats.  The sound
does not appear to be louder on one side or the other.

Having grown up driving Fords and Chevys gives me a pretty good idea of
what's going wrong when I hear a strange noise, but the sounds this car
makes leave me bumfuzzled.

Any ideas where I should start looking?

Rev. Matt Smith
Lexington, NC