[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E39 1997 528i: Clock functions

About a week ago, we had an exchange about the disparity between the Owner's
Manual and informational tape about the available clock functions and what
was identifiable in the automobile itself on the new 528i.  It has taken a
few days to ferret out what "seems" to be the truth, since none of the local
dealers/"sales consultants" seemed to know the answer (once again, who knows
their own product line?  After all, it's been for sale for how many months?).

     I "think" that the right answer is that the "basic" clock function is
linked to the "basic" computer module, and has only 4 functions.  To get the
full range of "upgraded" functions as listed in the owner's manual, one must
have the upgraded computer chip, Option 555, which costs about $190 US
(MSRP) extra, and IS available in the States, tho' most dealers don't have
it listed on their option packages.(!!!)

     That computer upgrade comes "automatically" when one orders the GPS
Navigation System, Option 609, at $2990 (MSRP), on the 528i, but lists at
$2800 on the 540i.  The difference of $190 is due to the reality that the
upgraded computer chip comes standard in the 540i; therefore you don't pay
anything additional for it, just for the GPS.

     So why the disparity between the brochure and the tape and reality?
Oh, "we made the booklet for the 540 and, in an attempt to make it as
universal as possible, forgot that it wasn't applicable to the 528...."

     This "information" took several days and several calls to the regional
BMW rep and two discussions with the Product Advocate in New Jersey.  I am
troubled about how a fine company handles its consumers and the remarkable
ignorance of local representatives of their products.  I could not do this
and survive in my line of work....

Richard  A. Lewis  '84 528e @ 122 kilomiles and counting
                   '97 528i Cashmere over black, in my dreams.....