[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: E28 stereo wiring

Jonathan states his problem is power being cut off to his stereo when
he steps on the brakes.  Been there.  Had that same problem with my
aftermarket stereo.  What brand did you buy?  Not that it matters,
just curious.  I have a pioneer.

Anyway, the fix is simple enuf.  What I did (if I remember correctly)
was stick my voltmeter into the ignition controled wire, then stepped
on the brakes.  I wanted to see the voltage drop occur.  Sure enuf it
did.  I bet you also hear a periodic pop from the speakers when you
apply the brakes, that is, if the stereo doesn't turn off first.

After you check the ignition line, find a hot lead (ie one that is
always hot).  Check it also for the voltage drop when brakes are
applied.  What you'll probably find is that it too drops, but not
nearly as much.  By the way, I did the voltage drop tests with the car
running.

Now you have two solutions....

1.  Connect the radio to the continuously hot lead.  This will let you
turn on the radio without the ignition on.  You may or may not be able
to hear anything depending on whether and how you have an external amp
hooked up.  I chose not to go this route.

Rather... I did this...

2.  Buy a simple relay at Radio Shack.  Look at the wiring diagram on
the box and connect the hot lead to the incoming line, the stereo
power line to the outgoing line.  Now you can use the ignition lead as
the trigger to trip the relay and power the stereo like before, only
the brake related problems should vanish.

Hope this helps some.  I suffered thru this same problem for a couple
of years before some smart guy at Circuit City suggested the relay
trick.

As always, YMMV
Good luck
Jeff Wilcox