[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

techie ignition question

I got a techie kinda question for all you netters. It's my understanding
that the electronic ignition computer (i.e. Motronic or Jacobs
Omni-thingie) can "read" cylinder conditions by sending a 80 or so volt
pulse (between firings) along the ignition leads and therefore alter the
magnitude and duration of the spark that the engine needs according to its
previous readings.

Other than the obvious cap and rotor wear what is the harm in
"oversparking" the mixture? So the ignition uses a little higher energy,
whats so bad about that? I've also heard that installing an MSD ignition
will "confuse" a Motronic ignition and therefore is a bad addition to a
modern BMW. Any comments?

Russell Shigeta
CDB Graduate Group
ez046453@domain.elided