[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Miscellaneous

Torque Value-valve cover nuts......I believe the figure is around 9-10 lb
ft, below the range of most torque wrenches.  Use a 1/4" drive wrench with
the appropriate 10mm socket and tighten gently and carefully (with one
hand).  The aluminum valve covers will crack from overtightening. (Be sure
and use a 6mm spring washer under each nut-you can enhance the appearance by
changing the nuts to nickel chromate dome nuts)
Oil Spray Tube & Hollow Bolts.........there should be (2)  8.5x11mm aluminum
crush rings (double thickness) at each hollow bolt.  Failure to use these
can cause the tube to crush and will cause oiling problems.
Muffler Hangers-E12/E21/E23/E24......most of the round o-ring exhaust
hangers being sold through the parts houses are far too soft and will break
on a regular basis.  Mercedes uses a Shore #70 (hardness) hanger for some of
their models which is recommended for the above BMW models  (the aftermarket
parts are #50 or #60).
Please contact me directly if you cannot find any of the above parts or
hardware locally.  SD
Steve D'Gerolamo c/o The Ultimate Garage,  Emerson, NJ  (201-262-0412)