[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Inquiry "sounds like pre-ignition"

I have owned my 84 - 318i for nearly then years and have recently
noticed for the past year what sounds like pre-ignition.  I have
tried different gases with different octane ratings.  I have adjusted
the timing and valves but have not been able to eliminate the sound.
I hear this pre-ignition type sound when the engine is running below
three thousand rpm.  The engine has 165,000 miles on it but is still
running strong.  I do use a little more oil about a quart between oil
changes.  I change the oil every 5,000 miles.  The car mainly runs on
the freeway since I commute 130 miles round trip every day and drive
about 80 mph average, (I am not the fastest on the road either).

I am getting ready to purchase a used motor to rebuild.  If anyone
has suggestions on parts that might improve performance without
loosing gas milage I would appreciate it.  I can run up and down I-5
at 80 and still get 30 mpg.

 Mark Porath                                   "Great Spirits Have Always
 mark@domain.elided                            Encountered Violent Opposition
 Maverick International, Inc.          From Mediocre Minds"
 Mukilteo, Washington USA          - Albert Einstein
 800 426-8048 ext 8562