[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V5 #236

Sounds like it may just be the seal ring leaking! Just try replacing
that first -  be careful of the spring under the cover and the yucky
oil that comes flying out with it!

If that doesn't fix it - maybe check valve in the tensioner is leaky. The
tensioner looks like a piston with a groove on one end for the chain guide
to fit in. There's also a spring that goes between the piston and the
bolt-headed cover that holds it in. Replace the seal ring while it's
apart (should be the same size as the one for the diff. drain bolt).

Get some small container like a margarine tub and fill it with oil
and put the new piston and (old) spring in to soak while you're
removing the old one. All you have to do is (while the oil isn't too
hot!!) remove the bolt carefully and catch the spring as it comes flying
out, as well as the piston.

Last few steps: put the new piston in and pour fresh oil in the hole
before and after. I think you have to sort of pump the piston with your
finger to get the air out of it at this point. Then put the spring in
and the bolt on top. Tighten the cover only until you feel the crush-ring
- -start- to crush. Don't overtighten it or you will regret it!!!

Did I miss anything?

						Dave Mitchell
						davem@domain.elided
						'82 320/6