[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Stock Stereo

A. Kamyab wrote:
   >I'll be ordering the I-bus compatible CD Changer, security system, and
>   leather armrest in a few days. The best prices I got are ($499+$88), $299,
>   ($151+$85) from The BMW Store in Ohio. I've never dealt with them before.
>   How's their service; and are these the best prices available?

Whan I first purchased my E36 318is in 1992, I too wanted to keep most
everything stock.  Then after doing research, found out that stock is not
always the best quality OR value.  You are about to drop almost $600 on a CD
changer simply because it works with the factory radio?  For $500 you can
get a BETTER AM/FM/Cassette head unit with MORE power and better quality
sound AND a 10 or 12 disc changer.  To top it off, you can easily sell that
factory radio either on this list or in the Roundel for at least $200
EASILY.  Mine went out the door the same day I advertised it in the Roundel.
Selling price was $275.    Go to Yahoo and Search on Car Audio and any
number of sites will lead you to mail order places that list Alpine,
Pioneer, JVC, Clarion, etc...
Same with the factory alarm...ITS NOT THAT GREAT...ITS AN OLD ALPINE!!!  You
can get a MUCH better Clifford or Viper INSTALLED for $299.  Armrest?  Well,
to be honest, the factory one is great.  Well worth the above price, unless
you can find it cheaper..I couldnt.

Ron
Bowie, MD

PS..My Pioneer KEH-6400 and Pioneer 12 disc changer just arrived from
Executive Photo in New York...They advertise with all the other New York
electronic stereo places in the back of Car and Driver or Motor Trend.
Everything is brand new wrapped in brand new boxes with all
manuals/packaging.  Detacheable Face, dual illumination, 35X4 watts per
channel, Station ID Logic, CD Disc Titling on the display, etc...I've got 10
days to return it if theres a prob...after that, I have to rely on the
manufacturers warranty.  Total price? $499 plus $10 shipping.  Having it
installed early this week.  Will post my post-installation experience with
this unit for those interested in upgrading from the factory radio to
aftermarket.