[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E30> ABS failure... again

Well, the ABS on my 325iC failed again. I was driving on a highway and just
happened to glace down and see the "orange light of doom" illuminated on my
console. I powered off the car at the next stoplight, resetting the light, but
as soon as I started moving, it came on again.

Grrrr... I've had the system fail before.

Before, it was a witch hunt, but with a relatively simple solution. All I had
to do then was replace the fusable relay and the dash bulb. Check my web
page, I was actually pretty impressed with myself back then. The system then
worked fine (and for about a year). Until today.

So, later this evening, I started looking at the sensors. I looked at both
the front ones, they looked ok (although I didn't have a jack, so it wasn't
very easy to turn the wheels and check that all the teeth were ok) but I
couldn't find the rear ones. I sprayed some WD-40 on the front ones to see if
it would help (it didn't).

According to the documentation I have (not Bosch docs) there should be rear
sensors, but from what I can see, there don't appear to be any. Bentley says
(in the pathetic paragraph that is their ABS coverage) that there is a single
sensor in the rear differential. I can't find it. Can anyone give me a clue
here?

Now, obviously my visual abilities are not satisfactory to diagnose this
problem. How can I electronically (or otherwise) analyse this system? Some
documentation I have talks about a Bosch "T" connector for doing work. Is this
a ludicrously expensive part? Can I build one of my own?

Any help from those in the know about ABS would be MOST appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt