[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> K&N Air Filter Caution - From a Fan - not BS

Personally I believe in using KN filters and am not worried about filter
efficiency, However, upon removing my 1993 325i KN factory replacement today
after a 200 mile round trip in which I drove for quite awhile through a
stretch of Interstate where they had stripped much of the median leaving it
dirt covered I found clear evidence of dirt/grit passing by the filter - but
not through the filter element - it passed around the so-called frame - not a
lot of it mind you - but disturbing. If you have experience with E30 airboxes
you will know it takes a lot of pressure to snap top to bottom with the
filter in place making a very secure positive seal and the unit lays flat.
With the easy access E36 airbox you dont get a real good feeling of how good
the vertically orientated rubber/plastic gasket is sealed it just sort of
snaps down. Upon closer inspection of the KN I noticed its quite flexible
compared to the factory unit and actually sags a bit in the middle and
probably does not seal as tight because of this and because it did not have
as much "padding" thickness to begin with compared to factory. Quality of
rubber sealing system appears better on a factory filter.  My KN may be
defective in its fitment - I'm going to check into it - but I do not like the
"loose" way the filters snap into the E-36 airbox. Check yours out if you
havent in awhle - and anytime you drive in a dirty area - at least its easy
to get at.

Happy Motoring
Bart - Hoods UP