[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

#216 Factory vs Clifford alarm

I currently own a 95 M3 which I foolishly let the dealer install a factory alarm
(alpine) in, even though I am very familiar with automotive electronics. The car is
parked all day in a relatively crime ridden area with truly professional thieves. One
day I came out after work to see the ring around the ignition switch witch is also the
antenna for the electronic engine kill system. I found no damage to the outside of the
car but the ignition lock was destroyed forcing me to have the car towed and the new
cylinder ordered from Germany 1.5 weeks wait. It took a neighborhood thief to show me
how this was done the alarm was scanned at the time I set it adevice that reads the
signal from your remote transmitter and then re-transmits it at a later time allowing
the thief access to your car. I was given a demonstration of this innocent and
inexpensive device, it opens the doors and turns off the alarm. Although the factory
alarm is supposed to have anti-scan circuitry in it I can honestly say it is ineffective
and basically putting in this alarm gives the thief the keys to your car. If it weren't
for the electronic engine cut they would have my car. I know that every thief doesn't
have a code scanner but if you are putting in an alarm anyway why not make it one that
truly protects your vehicle. The Clifford has an excellent anti-scan technology built
in. After this I installed a Clifford Intelligard-800 and have been happy with it. The
only hitch I ran into on the installation was in connecting the power door locks. The
BMW door lock module is very sophisticated and also controls the windows opening .125"
to allow you to open the doors. It required a few diodes and some fancy wiring to take
advantage of the double locking features. If you are not familiar with the wiring of
this bring it to someone who is. Icant give you the instructions because, frankly I did
not write them down and do not remember. Good luck.