[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <02> My car is red hot

>So here's what I need to know - given the symptoms that I've
described,
>should I have the radiator checked first, then change the pump?  At
the
>same time, since the radiator will be out of the car, should I do some
>other stuff up front?  Timing chain?  Gaskets? Tighten stuff up?  Are
there
>any things I should be wary of while I'm doing this?  Could I consider
>putting a used 320i water pump on?
>
>Thanks,
>Dean Davis
>1975 2002

    Radiators in my experience do not fail catastrophically except by
physical contusion.  (read: a bird, rock, small appliances enter the
radiator to cause a leak)  Loss of cooling capacity is a gradual thing,
like the spare tire I have around my stomach.  (It's a Dunlop, as in my
gut's Dunlop'd over my belt buckle. :P )
    Water pump failure is more likely here (you *do* have a leak you
said)...  if the drip/leak is from the front of the motor somewhere, it
is a 90% likelihood that's your pump.  Hose failures are more of the
rupture-spraysteameverywhere variety.
    A 320i water pump would require the use of a 320i pulley for the
pump as its nose sticks out ~1" more to clear the fan past the crank
pulley on 320i's.  Which, on a 2002, would put the pump in the radiator
core.  That is a Bad Thing.  :(
    [E21 320i owners: if you're gonna remove the plastic engine fan
anyway, use a 2002 water pump and pulley for some underdrive effect.
The '02 pulley is larger diameter, and can reduce cavitation at high
rpms.  I have this setup on my '77 320i.  The electric fan works just
fine when needed and you don't get that helicopter noise when you rev
it at the stoplight.]

Thi VanAusdal
'77 320i
'87 325i (project)
'87 325is (dad's)
Monday, 16 September, I will own a '76 2002 yeah for me (I'll post
later)