[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

springs for E30 M3

Russell Shigeta wrote:

>I'd like to lower my car about 3/4" to 1" and I have the choice of H&Rs or
>Eibachs. I plan on using them with Bilstein sports. Does anyone out there
>have a preference? After I install them I'll see if I feel like dealing
>with sway bars or not. I'd like to know how much lower it made your car if
>you've tried them. Better yet, have any of you tried both sets on one car?
>I'm sure both sets are probably high quality but a friend of mine once
>installed a set of Eibachs in his MR2 and it seemed like the car was higher
>after he installed the springs! I'd hate to see that on my car. I'm also
>wondering what effect the pressurized shocks will have on the ride height.

I have Bilstein Sport shocks on a stock E30 M3 suspension.  There is no
affect on ride height from the shocks.  Before you decide to put in lower
springs, you might consider replacing your shocks first.  The stock E30 M3
suspension is VERY good.  The Bilstein Sports will stiffen the suspension
just a little and are a good match to the OEM springs. This is particularly
true if you plan to drive the car on the street regularly.  Those Eibach or
H&R springs will make the car pretty rough on the street.  For my money, I am
of the "swaybars first" school for a street car.  After the Bilstein shocks,
the next thing I would do is replace the swaybars.  They don't have quite the
same effect as the springs on ride comfort for the street.  You will,
however, get some "tracking" with stiffer swaybars -- the car will want to
follow the ruts and grooves in the street.

If you're building a track car or club racer, you might want to replace ALL
the suspension components.  Of course, the best solution is to have one car
for the track and another for the street.  Then you don't have to put up with
any compromises.   :-)

Regards,
Bob Stommel
78 320iS, 88 M3, 95 M3