[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Buying an M5

> > I'm thinking about buying a '88 M5. What are the +/- of this car?  Are
> > they worth 20K and are they expensive to keep up.

 Filippo is correct.  I've just recently purchased an '88 M5 with 53k
miles on it in wonderful shape (not as nice as Filippos but pretty
close) and I must say that it took a long time to find a good example
that the owner wasn't asking a mint for.  The best advice I can give
is to look at as many as you can (within geographical reason.  Theres
no point spending $2k in travel to find an M5 for $1.5k lessthan
another).

Make sure than you have it checked by a BMW mechanic who has had
experience with these cars.  Due to the rarity, not all mechanics
have worked on them very much (or even at all).

Now, on a different note, if your on the east coast, take a look at
Filippos.  I'm in CA, and if Filippos car had been closer, I would
have bought it as soon as I saw it (I must admit I only saw pictures,
but these pictures where regular 35mm "candid" shots and were
absolutely perfect).  He does know what he speaks (everything he has
told me was confirmed by my mechanic and my guy was recently in
Autoweek as the guy who dropped the E30 M3 motor in the Z3, so he
does know M stuff.  He also has a sweet M2002, but thats another
story)

Good luck and have fun.  They're great cars.  I'm finding myself
looking for excuses to go visit clients (I'm a CPA) and am afraid I'm
going to put 100k miles on this thing within the end of the year.  I
guess I'll have to start driving my '72 02tii more (what a lousy life
I have, huh <BIG GIANT SLOPPY CAT GOT THE CANARY GRIN>)

Jerry Chyo

'72 2002 tii (yeah)
'88 M5 (bigger yeah)