[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<shade tree topics> tightening hose clamps

After doing major wrenching on 5 personal BMWs
since 1982, I thought I'd seen it all and figured
most everything out.

I was wrong. There's always something new to
learn. Sometimes its real simple. Like last
night.

Last night I decided, what the heck, I'll use
a socket instead of a screwdriver to tighten
the BMW hose clamps.

What a difference! The most satisfying way
to tighten BMW hose clamps.

I put a 6mm socket on the end of my 1/4 inch drive
wobbly extension bar (permits axial misalignment) and
those heater hose clamps near the firewall are a
BREEZE.

(Wobbly extension bars are pretty darn handy to have
around, too - great for getting at clutch slave cylinders
nuts and intake manifold nuts - anywhere you don't have a
100% straight shot at the fastener.)

Anybody know of a source for a 6mm nut driver
on a flexible shaft? This would be the ultimate
hose clamp tool, to go into the ultimate toolbox,
for working on the ultimate driving machine.

Eric Tangen
2-2002s, a 530i, and a 633 CSi (chestnut red, beautiful, &
                                waiting to get clayed)