[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Front SPoiler

Hello Cyberpop:

   First, I am talking about the front spoiler.

 I looked at the various spoilers from RD and AC, but I did not
like the "over the bumper" installation, and I wanted the M3 look. The
M3 kit was purchased from a BMW dealer, along with several other needed
parts. The parts include new brake ducts, a couple of seals, two black
plastic pieces thatmount under the spoiler in front of the wheels, and
a grill incert. The parts are all listed in the BMW accesory catalog the
that comes with the car (you can pick one uo at a dealer too). You can
order the M3 grill incert instead of the listed one as well. The M-Tech
bumper skin replaces the original bumper skin. You have to remove the old
bumper completely and tear it down. You are left with the (black) alumimun
bumper piece. You then build up the M-3 bumper on this and replace the
entire unit. Directions are included in the kit. They are not too bad if
you are mechanically inclined. Its really a big erector set. The hardest
part for me was removing the fog lights. That part was not too clear.
Actually, if you look in the owners manual under replacing the fog light
bulb the directions for taking out the fog light assambly is clearer, and
simple. Thus, remove the fog lights FIRST. Then all you have to do is
install the new brackets in the new bumper and snap the fog lights in when
done.

 The entire process of taking the old bumper off and installing the new
one took me about 1 and 1/2 hours, maybe 2. So its not too dificult.

  The bumper lip, again, is for the front bumper. I just ordered the M3
part. (I asked for the M3 spoiler lip, you know the black plastic part
on the bottom. The parts guy understood, told me it would not fit on the
M-Tech bumper. I said, "yea, I know, I will have to drill some holes."
He said, " just want to be sure you knew!) Then he gave me the mounting
parts. (The actuall M-3 parts include all types of nancy contoured
plastic clips, etc. But they really are not needed.)

 The mounting of the lip is also easy. Before you install the new bumper,
turn the assembly up side down, put the lip in place and push it against
the bumper snuggly. Dril 1/4 inch holes as necessary for the screws along
the front. Dril them at an angle so that they are kind of under the car.
Try one first and check. You don't want to do this wrong! Also, if you do
it right, the hole wont ne noticable if you take the lip off, unless
you lay on the groung. :)

 As for painting, I usually do that kind of stuff myself, but in this case
I wanted it perfect so I had a very good local shop paint the bumper.
Cost $240.

 I suspect the other bumper will be easier to install, but then they are
uver the bumper kits. Painting cost would be about the same for any of the.
However the cost for painting could vary depending on the shop (and the
quality of the job).

 Also, it you go with the BMW stuff, call around to the mail order dealers.
Most give a 20% discount over BMW list. Check Roundel for names. I have
had good luck with Global Import BMW in Georga. I live in Conneticute.

 John k....