[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Gasoline odor

Sounds like the M.O. of the dreaded new gas with MBTEs.  There are lawsuits
starting in California over this issue. Seems that the new fuel is fueling
a controversy whereby it alledgedly rots fuel systems of cars produced
before 1991.  I spent around $200 replacing fuel lines etc. and the problem
you describe went away.  Hmmmmm.

>I have an 88 528e and I keep smelling fuel.  Last night, I popped the
>hood and got a good whiff of gas which only lasted a minute or so.  I
>ran the engine for about 5 minutes and looked and sniffed all over for
>any signs of a leak, but to no avail.  No wet spots anywhere.
>
>This has been going on for a while now, but it seems to be getting a bit
>stronger lately, as the smell is coming in through the ventilation
>system (ack!). I get the smell both on cold starts and on warm starts.

Marc Berger
BMW CCA #127312
1985 528e Bahama Beige 145K mi.
1995 Ford Explorer
1997 540iA Cashmere Beige (on the slowboat from D-land)