[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <misc> unleaded petrol

"Brendon Whateley" <brendon@domain.elided> writes:

>The RON number is an indication of the fuels resistance to
>knocking and detonation, it does not reveal anything about
>the amount of energy in a given volume of fuel.

Actually it does. But surprisingly the LOWER the RON number more
(stored) energy in a given volume of fuel. Unfortunatly if that
energy is released before you want it to be (knocking/preignition)
it is not of much use.

For more (detailed) info, check out:

http://ram.chem.tulane.edu:8080/f-body/trivia/gasoline.html

 This is just the Table of Contents:

        1. Introduction and Intent
        2. Table of Contents
        3. What Advantage will I gain from reading this FAQ?
        4. What is Gasoline?
          4.1  Where does crude oil come from?.
          4.2  When will we run out of crude oil?.
          4.3  What is the history of gasoline?
          4.4  What are the hydrocarbons in gasoline?
          4.5  What are oxygenates?
          4.6  Why were alkyl lead compounds added?
          4.7  Why not use other organometallic compounds?
          4.8  What do the refining processes do?
          4.9  What energy is released when gasoline is burned?
          4.10 What are the gasoline specifications?
          4.11 What are the effects of the specified fuel properties?
          4.12 Are brands different?
          4.13 What is a typical composition?
          4.14 Is gasoline toxic or carcinogenic?
          4.15 Is unleaded gasoline more toxic than leaded?
        5. Why is Gasoline Composition Changing?
          5.1  Why pick on cars and gasoline?
          5.2  Why are there seasonal changes?
          5.3  Why were alkyl lead compounds removed?
          5.4  Why are evaporative emissions a problem?
          5.5  Why control tailpipe emissions?
          5.6  Why do exhaust catalysts influence fuel composition?
          5.7  Why are "cold start" emissions so important?
          5.8  When will the emissions be "clean enough"?
          5.9  Why are only some gasoline compounds restricted?
          5.10 What does "renewable" fuel/oxygenate mean?
          5.11 Will oxygenated gasoline damage my vehicle?
          5.12 What does "reactivity" of emissions mean?
          5.13 What are "carbonyl" compounds?
          5.14 What are "gross polluters"?
        6. What do Fuel Octane ratings really indicate?
          6.1  Who invented Octane Ratings?
          6.2  Why do we need Octane Ratings?
          6.3  What fuel property does the Octane Rating measure?
          6.4  Why are two ratings used to obtain the pump rating?
          6.5  What does the Motor Octane rating measure?
          6.6  What does the Research Octane rating measure?
          6.7  Why is the difference called "sensitivity"?
          6.8  What sort of engine is used to rate fuels?
          6.9  How is the Octane rating determined?
          6.10 What is the Octane Distribution of the fuel?
          6.11 What is a "delta Research Octane number"?
          6.12 How do other fuel properties affect octane?
          6.13 Can higher octane fuels give me more power?
          6.14 Does low octane fuel increase engine wear?
          6.15 Can I mix different octane fuel grades?
          6.16 What happens if I use the wrong octane fuel?
          6.17 Can I tune the engine to use another octane fuel?
          6.18 How can I increase the fuel octane?
          6.19 Are aviation gasoline octane numbers comparable?
        7. What parameters determine octane requirement?
          7.1  What is the effect of Compression ratio?
          7.2  What is the effect of changing the air/fuel ratio?
          7.3  What is the effect of changing the ignition timing
          7.4  What is the effect of engine management systems?
          7.5  What is the effect of temperature and Load?
          7.6  What is the effect of engine speed?
          7.7  What is the effect of engine deposits?
          7.8  What is the Road octane requirement of an vehicle?
          7.9  What is the effect of air temperature?.
          7.10 What is the effect of altitude?.
          7.11 What is the effect of humidity?.
          7.12 What does water injection achieve?.
        8. How can I identify and cure other fuel-related problems?
          8.1  What causes an empty fuel tank?
          8.2  Is knock the only abnormal combustion problem?
          8.3  Can I prevent carburetter icing?
          8.4  Should I store fuel to avoid the oxygenate season?
          8.5  Can I improve fuel economy by using quality gasolines?
          8.6  What is "stale" fuel, and should I use it?
          8.7  How can I remove water in the fuel tank?
          8.8  Can I use unleaded on older vehicles?
        9. Alternative Fuels and Additives
          9.1  Do fuel additives work?
          9.2  Can a quality fuel help a sick engine?
          9.3  What are the advantages of alcohols and ethers?
          9.4  Why are CNG and LPG considered "cleaner" fuels.
          9.5  Why are hydrogen-powered cars not available?
          9.6  What are "fuel cells" ?
          9.7  What is a "hybrid" vehicle?
          9.8  What about other alternative fuels?
          9.9  What about alternative oxidants?
       10. Historical Legends
         10.1  The myth of Triptane
         10.2  From Honda Civic to Formula 1 winner.
       11. References
         11.1  Books and Research Papers
         11.2  Suggested Further Reading

Dirve well,