[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<misc> unleaded petrol

> I have a different question: In a 1989 325i that is supposed to accept both
> leaded and unleaded petrol (no catalyzer) which is better? RON 95 unleaded,
> RON 98 unleaded or RON 98 leaded petrol???

If the car is designed to take both, use the unleaded, it's better for the
environment!  Unless you have modified the engine, you should use the lowest
octane fuel (cause it's cheaper) that the car is designed for.  Higher RON
numbers do not give any extra power unless the engine is designed to take
advantage of it. (Higher compression, boost, advanced timing, etc.)  The RON
number is an indication of the fuels resistance to knocking and detonation, it
does not reveal anything about the amount of energy in a given volume of fuel.

Brendon.
'96 M3
'93 MX-5