[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: What is a 700 worth??

TK Gustafson wrote:
>I saw the neatest little car today.  Yes, a 700.  Never having actually
>having seen (or heard) of one of these my first impression was that someone
>just stuck a roundel on some old junker.  ......Anyway,  It's pretty rusted
>out, externally anyway, I didn't really get a good look at any structural
>parts and it appears to just be surface rust.

This was BMWs first unit body car, and therefore, like 2002s, the surface
rust is probably indicative of serious cancer of the "frame".

>All of the glass is there,
>pretty much most of the trim is there also, except the oval nose grill.

  What oval nose grill?  The unique quality of the 700 is that it sported
no kidney grill as did most BMWs, of course, it's air-cooled rear-engined
so it wouldn't really need one now would it?

>No engine, but the guy said he had that in a box at home in pieces with new
>pistons and gaskets.

  Are you sure you weren't looking in the trunk? (see above).  Seriously,
there were two different engines for this car, 1 carb and 2 carbs, (30 & 40
hp) and the differences were major.  Pieces in boxes meant that the engine
probably grenaded and the crank should be suspect.  You may have piles of
junk.

>  What I'm wondering is, would this car be worth restoring?   I'm pretty
>sure parts would be a bitch to find, am I wrong?   This thing can't be very
>heavy, are they fast?  Would you be able to fit a Porshe engine or
>something in it, or would that just defeat the whole purpose of restoring
>it.

  The engines are available, used.  The value of the vehicle is dependent
upon which body (there were about 5 different styles/wheelbases/trims.
Remember, condition, condition...

>The guy knows he has a rare car, so what would be a reasonable amount to
>offer.

  Not so rare, depending on which body style.  There were over 3000 sold in
the US alone. I have 3 myself.  If this is the one the fellow was trying to
unload at the flea market at O'fest from Maryland, it's rough, plane
vanilla and not economically restorable.

>Any and all comments and or advice is welcome.

  I love these litte cars.  I drove mine (cabriolet) to O'fest (220 mile
round trip) at an easy 65mph and hit close to 80 at times for fun.  It's
been an indicated 85mph.  They weigh about 1400 lbs., have trailing arm
front suspensions and mine was a blast on the Lime Rock circuit at the
Vintage Fall Festival a couple of years ago. I'm happy to answer any
questions concerning them that I can.  I'm still learning, too, and happy
to refer.  As a member of the NADA  Exotic, Vintage and Collectible Guide
Advisory Board, I should know what it's worth...... or at least make up
something.  You can just make out the corner of one 700 Cabrio in a photo
on our web page, on the other side of the 1600 Cab.

Phil Marx    BMWCCA #6021 BMWMOA #2024 (804) 293-8269    fax (804) 293-0817
Bavarian Motor Warehouse, Inc.         Check out our Web page: See our 1600
416 W. Main St.                        Cabriolet and other lovely BMWs.
Charlottesville, VA.  22903            http://www.comet.chv.va.us/bav/