[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Purchase of 1990 model 535i

>Finally, based upon my experience, I recommend the purchase of a 535i.
>However, this is not an economy car in regard to fuel usage.  The car needs
>to use premium gas and the gas mileage is not very good.  In the city of
>Houston with a mix of stop and go and freeway traveling I am averaging 15
>mpg.  I have yet to burn a full tank on just highway driving but it appears
>on the highway I am getting 19 to 20 mpg.  I have had others on this forum
>report 19 to 20 mpg for their cars.

Brandt,

  Your 535i is designed and specified to run just fine on 87 octane regular
unleaded gas.  IMO there is nothing to be gained by using premium over
brand name regular.  This is also true of the 12 cyl. BMWs up to and
including the '94 model year.  Put that price difference into your fuel
cost calculator and you'll find that you do have an economy car.  This is,
incidentally, true for all US spec 3.5 liter sixes, including E28 535i/s
and E32 735.

- -Phil Marx  BMWCCA #6024