[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Creaky steering on 1986 E28 528e

> Don't know if anyone's experienced this before, but I just
bought a 1986
> 528e (mt first bmw!) and any steering I do makes a creeking
sound from
> the front suspension/steering. I only hear it at slow speeds
(most
> likely because I can't hear much at higher speeds). I checked
the power
> steering fluid and it is full and clean. The sound is
remiscent of the
> creaking door of a haunted house. Is there a way to lube the
front-end
> to remove this sound? Any hints would be helpful...thanks.

That was one of the first questions I asked when I found this
digest.  Man, what a terrific source of information!  And
congratulations on your new Bimmer - I hope you get as much
pleasure from yours as I have from mine.

It is the sway bar links - thin, dog-bone shaped links from the
suspension to the sway bar.  The rubber boots have probably
cracked and the grease has been washed out.

I quieted mine by using a hypodermic filled with gear oil (Rear
differential oil - Red-Line 75w90 to be specific) but I'd guess
any good lubricant would work - anyway I stuck the needle into
the boot and squirted about 1/2cc of oil into each boot.  Some
ran out - a few spots on the driveway - but it's kept things
quiet for several months now.

Karl Zemlin
BMWCCA 82366
zemlin@domain.elided