[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Oil Analysis Data

I'm not intending to re-ignite the infamous air filter debate, but merely
to inform everyone of my experiences with stock air filters and K&N air
filters.  But several people have emailed me regarding my oil analysis
results and I'd like to post the results.  Each numberindicates
parts/million present in the oil sample.  The first columnis with the
stock BMW air filter and Valvoline 15W-40, while the twosubsequent ones
are with the K&N air filter and Mobil 1 10W-30. BTW, I live in Central KY
and I drive in normalconditions, not too dusty.  BTW I had similar
results with my'91 Mercedes 560SEL.These are consecutive oil
changes.Date:		3/21/95		5/30/95		7/20/95Mileage
on car	72016		75340		80150Mileage on
oil	3100		3324		4810Wear metals:
Iron		7		6		11
Chromium	7		0		0
Lead		2		0		4
Copper	8		6		11
Tin		1		3		2
Aluminum	3		2		3
Nickel	0		0		0
Silver	0		0		0
Manganese	0		0		0Contaminant Sources:
 Silicon	5		8		10Additives:
Boron	21		117		109
Sodium	300		85		19
Magnesium	462		529		569
Calcium	996		2184		2227
Barium	0		0		0
Phosphorus	956		940		998
Zinc		1149		1156		1265
Molybdenum	0		216		124None of these
results resulted in any necessary corrective actions.A benefit of using
the Mobil 1 syntheic oil was that it did not shearat all even in the 4810
mile oil change interval, while theValvoline sheared down to a 30 weight
oil in as few as 3100 miles.Prakash Maggan
'92 DINAN 750iL
Maggan@domain.elided
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PrakashMaggan