[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V5 #216

R134a is more environmentally friendly because it is an HFC, which stands for
HydroFluoroCarbon. R12 is a CFC or ChloroFluoroCarbon and contains more
chlorine in it which causes the problem with the ozone layer. 134a has a
higher condensing temperature and pressure than R12 which requires more
compressor horsepower and a larger condenser but still functions as a
perfectly acceptable automobile  A/C coolant. The 134a system in my E36 M3 is
significantly better than the A/C systems I had in 2 previous E28 sedans we
drove in Houston summer conditions, utilizing R12.

Bob Murphy