[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Purchase of 1990 model 535i

> From: Tom Armstrong <tomr@domain.elided>
> Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 12:46:55 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: 1990 535i
>
> I am a possible new owner of a 90, 535i and was wondering if anyone has
> any information on things I should be looking for before I purchase this
> car.

I supplied the following information to another curious 535 purchaser.  I
hope this proves interesting.  If you have any questions please feel free
to e-mail me directly:

I purchased a 1991 model 535I approximately three months ago and am very
pleased with this car.  I was lucky to obtain this vehicle with only 35,000
miles on it for a purchase price of $22,700.  At first I was concerned this
price was a little high but with the low mileage and the excellent overall
condition of the vehicle, I felt it was worth it.  This price was close to
the wholesale price listed in edmunds (www.edmunds.com).

As concerns your choice between the 325/328 and the 535, it seems to me
there are two key factors which I also wrestled with: price and size.  From
comments on the CompuServe forum I had received from others I had
determined that if I were to purchase a 325 I would want to get a 1993 or
newer model.  A number of people had commented the 1993 model handled and
performed noticeably better than the earlier model years.  The 1993 model
came with the VANOS engine and there were evidently some suspension changes
made.  Well once I started to look for 1993 or newer model 325i's I
discovered they were beginning to get out of my price range.  That is when
I began to look into the model 525 and 535 models.

The BMW I was to purchase would have to on occasion hold my family of 4 and
there is no question room would be limited with the 325i.  Therefore, I
started a local search for 525 or 535 BMW's.  After test driving a number
of cars the size of the 5 series was determine to be just right.
Interestingly the same model year of the 525 or the 325 didn't have that
significant a price difference.  Therefore, I focused my search on a 1992
model 525.  After driving a number of cars, I felt as many have that the
525 seemed a little bit underpowered but certainly acceptable.  Then I
accidentally tripped across the 535 I eventually purchased.  The 535
provided just a bit more power in the same car as the 525.  Also the 535
used the M30 engine which had been used by BMW for a number of years with a
very good reputation.  The 525 had gone to the new M50 engine in 1991 and I
was interested in getting this engine but would have preferred the newer
version with the variable value timing which I believe became available in
1993.

Assuming you do not have to make an immediate purchase (within the next two
days), I would highly recommend that you contact your local BMW car club.
The members of the BMWCCA will have a wealth of information that they will
be happy to pass on to you even though you may not yet be a member.  I did
this and am very thankful for the assistance I received which helped me to
decide to purchase my car.  I obtained a recommendation from the BMWCCA
members of a local shop whose owner is active in the club and I used this
shop to do a prepurchase inspection of my car.  I highly recommend you have
a prepurchase inspection done.

In regard to things to look out for on the 535, consider the following:

Check the headlights and fog lights for damaged lens (up to $80 each)
Check the power steering hoses for leakage (mine leak)
Is the water pump OK?  Check for play in the fan clutch.
Check all body panels for the VIN number sticker.  All panel have the VIN
number sticker in plan view.  If not, doors, fenders, or hoods may have
been changed due to wreckage.  If these parts have been replaced with
official BMW parts they will have a BMW logo sticker stating DOT-R.
I have been told that the M30 engine which requires periodic valve
adjustments had a problem with banjo bolts on the oil supply system to the
cam shaft working loose.  If you have the valves adjusted or checked, ask
about the banjo bolts.

Finally, based upon my experience, I recommend the purchase of a 535i.
However, this is not an economy car in regard to fuel usage.  The car needs
to use premium gas and the gas mileage is not very good.  In the city of
Houston with a mix of stop and go and freeway traveling I am averaging 15
mpg.  I have yet to burn a full tank on just highway driving but it appears
on the highway I am getting 19 to 20 mpg.  I have had others on this forum
report 19 to 20 mpg for their cars