[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

More A4 vs. 3 Series

Hi,

As I would expect, we've come up with many reasoned responses to the A4 vs 3 series question.  No "Bimmers are simply better" emotions running rampant.  Here's my $.02:

I test drove an A4 auto and a 5sp.  There is no denying, IMHO, that the A4 is a beautifully styled car, one that will probably still look fresh in 5 years (much the same the E36 does now).  The interior appointments also reek of luxury, feeling and looking like a car costing way more than it does.

The E36 interior is a little stark to the average American citizen I think, which is another reason why 3 series sales have suffered in the face of the A4.   I think BMW should offer the Luxury (interior only) as an option across the whole 3 series (not just the M3), which competes favorably in terms of upscale feel vs. the A4 interior.  This would further tip the price scale in the A4's direction however (value retention not withstanding).

Ergonomics seem comparable, but those three useless buttons placed along the top right of the A4 center console are offensive IMO, symmetricality be damned!  Besides, they could've just spaced the real buttons differently...

Now, as for driving pleasure, the A4 is a luxo-cruiser IMO, not a sports sedan, so comparisons for it are tough.  The E36 is probably the most balanced car on the market these days.  The A4's automatic is crippling, more so than in other cars where I've driven both trannies (Mustang GTs, E36s, Saab 900 Turbos).  The manual helps, but bottom line the car is not nearly as sporty as the 328.  Even a 318 with a 5sp feels more "fun" than the A4, straight-line acceleration aside.  Drive an M3 of course, and all bets are off.

Therein lies the answer I think.  If money is the number one, over-arcing criterion, the 328 is a tough purchase to swallow vs. the A4 from a pure 'value' standpoint, though all the arguments about repair/maintenance/resale are well taken.  If the $5-$6 thousand difference is less of a factor (and performance, value retention, driving enjoyment are most important), then the answer is to pay the next $5 grand increment and get an M3 - especially now that the 4 door is on the horizon.

I can feel the heat of the flames now - not for defending the E36 but for spending OPM (other people's money) so casually.

TM

'96 M3 Lux - Techno Violet/Magma - loaded but wingless