[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What's an L6?

Ron Wheeler wrote:

        I've found an L6 in my local area with 66k on the odo that I might be
interested in. I'm not crazy about automatics and do not know of the common
quirks found on this variant of the 635csi.
        Were these cars equipped with LSDs? What else set them apart from the
other sixes? I'm already aware of the fridge and "dual air" features. Is
there anything else?
        I've noticed that many of the L6s for sale are at about the same mileage.
Is there a possible mechanical reason to sell such a car at this mileage?
        Anyone having experience on the L6 please fill me in. I'd like to know
what possible problem areas to look for before purchasing.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The L6 was essentially a 635 without the sport seats.  It was offered only in 1987.
LSD was optional.  The car's interior is almost entirely covered in leather (dash,
door panels, console, pillars, portions of the rear deck, and of course the seats).
The automatic offers three modes: select shift (manual), sport 3-speed automatic, and
normal automatic w/ overdrive.  The car really comes into its powerband above 3500rpm.
 It sits low (and so do you when in it), feels heavy and stable, and even on TRX tires
it corners impressively.  The mechanics are very similar to an E28 5-series.  It has
the same engine as the 535 and shares a number of chassis and suspension components.
I don't know of anything special to the L6 to watch out for.  FWIW, the "Illustrated
BMW Buyers Guide" rates the L6 at 4 out of 5 stars on investment value.  It gave the
M6 the same rating.  Go figure.

A buddy bought an L6 2 years ago as a restoration project.  It had 140K on the clock
and he took it to 120mph on his test drive (owner not present).  I took the same ride
and it was solid as a rock.

Scott
'87 535is