[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Hawks, Porterfields--race pads; Supersprint sounds

I said, and then Chuck Q responded...

  I have not driven an M3 equipped
> >with a SC, and sure would like to (Chuck Q, do I get a test drive
> >this fall?).
>
> Carl, a test drive will be available.

thanks, Chuck!  I will look forward to that chance.  We can, of
course, exchange steads for a few laps.

> >I am going to reserve any further comments on whether to SC or Not
> >to SC until I have driven one.  It may be so much fun, I will just
> >have to have one!  Who doesn't like horsepower?  For now, I will
> >just putt along with my Supersprinted-to-the-max M3, and be
> >satisfied with continuing suspension upgrades.
>
> Warning:  Boost is addictive, just like drugs.  Once you get some,
> you just want more.

I would STILL do most  of the other "increased breathing, both in an
out" mods BEFORE installing the supercharger.

If for no other reason,  the Supersprint exhaust system  (headers,
Dr. Gas, free-flowing center section-for-race-only, and Supersprint
muffler)  makes driving the car more fun because it SOUNDS so nice.
Deep, large diameter, resonnant, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, as
opposed to braaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.  I leave the car in low gears just to
hear it howl around town!  Underpasses always require open windows
and sunroof, much to Julianne's dismay.  Marco and others have heard
it, and will attest to its menacing, sonerous wail.  I think that the
deciding factor of whether to do the whole Supersprint system or not
is whether or not you can get away with it in your local
juristiction.

> John wrote:
>
> >[John Browne]  Once again I'll have to vote for Poterfield R4 pads.
> >These are full-race, and, unlike the OEM pads, don't eat my rotors.
> >I have a lot of track time on them and still have more than 50%
> >front and about 75% rears. They squeal some on the street when
> >cold. They stop fine cold and better hot. Matter of fact, they are
> >awesome on the track. Ask anybody: I can brake later than anybody
> >on the tracks I get on. And I'm not a particularly gutsy guy (ask
> >anybody <g>)... So far rotor damage is zip. Rotors are like new. I
> >do warm them up, except when autocrossing (how can you warm up
> >brakes before an autox run?) and still no damage. To put this in
> >comparison, my buddy with a 93 RX-7 TT can't get through a single
> >track day on a set of pads.
>
> I also have had good luck with the Porterfield R4S pads.  I
> understand the pads come in 2 flavors, street and race.  I use the S
> flavor that is for the street.  The initial warped rotors were a
> result of the stock pads used by a novice driver (me) at a track
> school.  The rotors were turned but once warped there is a tendency
> to return to a warped condition.  This happened after 4 track events
> and I used the Euro floating rotors as a replacement.
>
> At the track and on the street, my use of the Porterfield pads
> confirm John's experience.
>
> Chuck Quarton

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have driven John' PeeKay, and can attest to the fact that his
braking power is incredible.  About the same as my car when I have
the Hawk Blues installed.  The operative word in John's sentence is
"warm."  The P4's, or ANY race pad, for that matter, MUST be warm
before hard braking.  My bad rotor experience with the R4's was
caused by hard, cold braking.

I would be interested in trying the R4S's.  The "S" version should be
like the Hawk HPS or the Performance Friction Z-Rated pads.

Carl

Carl Buckland
1000 Boston Bldg
Nine Exchange Place