[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

K&N Cone Filters

This is not a post to argue to anyone about K&N and their protection to
the engine. My opinion is that so many people would be using them if
they are harmful to the engine. Especially if you are performance
oriented, why would you be so concerned about longevity of the engine.
Driving a car hard occationally may lessen engine life anyway. Keep in
mind that other types of cars besides bimmers use K&N filters.
Especially Japanese racing cars. Everyone I know who races uses K&N
filters on their car...Its the cutting edge.

But what I want to know, is if a K&N Open element Cone filter yields a
big difference compared to modified air boxes. I'm confused, because I
ran with a Open element intake, similar to Autothority's at the drags
Sunday, but my times were similar to one with a home made (Holes drilled
at the bottom without the inner resonator) modified air box. I even
removed my head light to eliminate the chance of having warm air rushing
from the engine compartment(Air was being rammed directly to the
filter). Can someone tell me if they ever did a comparison with Bimmer's
and their response to Open element filters Vs. Modified air boxes w/K&N
filter? Someone told me that bimmers like having a airbox, but the setup
I have should be yielding more air, especially since the headlight is
removed during competion.

Ruell
1995 318ti chip, intake, exhaust, throttle body