[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: <ALL> fog lights

>        I just noticed something the other night.  If I'm driving with the
>headlights and fog lamps on and I turn on the high beams, the fog lamps
>turn off (and the green light on the instrument cluster goes out).  I may
>understand that both these types of illumination serve different purposes,
>but why can't I throw as much candlepower in front of me as I've got?
>                                                Todd    tcmerrill@domain.elided

Most states have laws governing how many lights may be illuminated at any
time and the six you would have, I believe, exceeds them all.  I think they
had to recall some MB models a while ago for too many lights.  Again, this
varies by state, so if you wanted to change it, check.  Why don't the fogs
come on without other lights?  That's a more useful tool.

While I've got you all here, try to help to dispell the BMW image of
yuppies driving around with fog lights on all the time by making sure yours
are turned off when you don't need them.  They are pretty pitiful for
anything other than just finding the edge of the roadway anyhow, and making
other drivers mad.   Let the Pontiac owners take over as a bad example.

- -Phil Marx  BMWCCA #6021 (2002tii w/Marchal Amplilux 7" headlamps
wired/relayed for high & low beem operation simultaneously.  Puts
elipsoidals to shame.)