[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:<e28> Motrinic Problem - Dead 528e

>From: Sam Chien-shin Lin <sam@domain.elided>
>Date: Mon, 9 Sep 96 10:51:48 -0700
>Subject: <e28> Motrinic Problem - Dead 528e
>
>My '84 528e mysteriously cut out on me a couple of weeks ago.  I was
>driving along, and suddenly, the tach drops to 0.  Afterwards, I was
>able to start it a couple of times, but it would just die after less
>than a minute.  Out of the past 12 yrs of owning BMW's I've never
>gotten stranded; I was flabbergasted that I'd have to get towed for
>the first time.  Things are not so simple on this car like my
>carbureted 2002.
>snip
>I first tried swapping DME and ICM from my 325e (both of which I know
>have worked before on my 538e).  No luck.

>Sam

Sam, did you check the main and fuel relays out? If either of these parts
go they will produce exactly the same symptoms. Swap these out of the
325e and try them. They are located next to the airbox under a plastic
cover. If this turns out to be the problem replace both relays...hell,
buy an extra set for the 325e as they are a common failure item.

John Darwak
'85 325e/i