[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC> RE: Dent Wizard in DC area

I've got a car with several minor door dings on a couple of panels. Over
the phone, Dent Wizard in Alexandria (I believe) quoted $89 for the first
dent in each panel with $31 per subsequent dings on a given panel. I have
3 dings on two panels. I was told it would take one-two hours and could
wait for the car.

Let's do some basic algebra:
			ding #1		#2	#3	Total
	Passenger door	$89		$31	$31	= $151
	Driver door 	$89		$31	$31	= $151
							------
					total cost	  $302

I am nuts? Body shops charge $30/hour. A good private shop charges
$50-60/hour for mechanical work. $302 comes to $151/hour for two hours
work (max side of estimate), with no additional cost of materials, as I
understand it...

I'm quite surprised that body shops don't have this capability in-house
and charge $30 or even $40 or $50 an hour for it...

Can I get a reality check? Has someone else had this experience in the DC
area? What should I be paying for this service? I also would like any
recommendations from anyone that has had this performed in the general DC
area - specifically the craftsman / body man that performed the work.

Much appreciated...

Filippo

p.s. Phil, if you have someone down there that does this at a fraction of
the cost, I'll drive down to C'ville, have it done and take you dinner at
The Metropolitan ;-)