[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: tii autocross setup help

>I need advice from the handling experts on '02tii set-up for autocross.
>
>Street tires (must go) 195/60/14 Michelins, 14x6.5 e30 bbs wheels
>Stock sway bars
>H&R springs (new)
>Bilstein Sports (new)
>3.91 (not lsd)
>5 sp 320 trans

        I won't pretend to be an expert. I ran my first autocross this year
and have done 3 total. I've been participating in driver's schools since '91
with about 5 to 8 track days per year at a total of about 5 different
tracks. I run a 2002tii with a similiar setup to above (Eibach Prokit
Springs, Bilstien Sports, 205/60-13's on 13X6 wheels, Urethane bushes
front/rear, 25mm front, 22mm rear bars). I've been running Yokohama A509's
on the track and street.
        At the last autocross I was running 3-4 secs slower than e30,e36
M3's. The car tends toward push in tight corners. Adding the springs and
bilstiens improved this situation and combined with the large sway bars
corners pretty flat. Suprisingly overall ride is comfortable. There is
another tii thats been lowered and runs 14X6 325 alloys with Yoko AVS's that
is generally 1/2 - 1 seconds back. At driver schools the car is pretty
neutral with some push as speeds come up. Hoping that this may be cured with
a race compound tire.
        Changing sway bars to a larger bar front and rear may help to reduce
any body roll and keep the tires planted in the turns. I believe the stock
bars are pretty small and lose something over the years. FWIW.

Rich Hall
'74 2002tii
'86 535i