[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: e34 M5 OBC - Sweden

BMW91M5@domain.elided wrote regarding E34's:

> Check the gas gauge, does it show readings between full and 1/2 or go to half
> very quickly?
>
>Cars produced 6/90 to 2/91 had a non linear gas gauge that must be corrected
>by a software download from the dealer. US service bulletin 62 02 91 (3237).

	Hmmmm....my recently acquired 1990 E34 had a similar problem (8-90
production, I believe.  How do I verify this?).

	The gas guage was normal from F to 3/4 and from 1/4 to R.  However,
it dropped like a rock between 3/4 and 1/4, in a matter of about 50 miles.

	On the first trip, the dealer replaced the "fuel level sender"
(what exactly is that?), which did not fix the problem.  On the second
trip, they diagnosed "...check guage through floats travel; guage does not
read accurately through middle section of guage readings.  Order new
guage."  On the third visit, they replaced the guage behind the instrument
cluster.  Fixed.  To confirm, I made a graph of OBC range versus mileage;
pretty darn linear.

	If they downloaded new software, they didn't tell me on the invoices.

	If anyone is interested in the parts they replaced, I can type them
from the invoices.

        Until next time...
                                                Todd
                                                tcmerrill@domain.elided