[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> Stumbling/Backfire Update

To: BMW List Server    <bmw-digest@domain.elided>

FROM: David Skirzenski      PHONE: 744-4872   ID: SKIRZ
Subject: <E36> Stumbling/Backfire Update

Thanks to those who responded with tips on curing the
stumbling/backfiring/hesitation on my '92 325i.  Since
I've gone through about 8 tanks of gas, used a few bottles
of drygas and fuel injection cleaner, and the problem only
occurs below 2000 RPM, I ruled out bad gas.  Was I right
to do that?  Can water or something in the gas keep on
causing a problem like this?  The problem is intermediate
on some days, bad on others, non existant once and a while.

Backfiring was probably a bad description of what happens.
It actually "pops" in the engine compartment, via the airfilter.
The explosion of the air/fuel seems to happen with one of
the INTAKE valves open.  The backfire is not through the
exhaust.  This is bumming me out!

I've been trying to see if the problem occurs worse on humid
days, which would lead to some sort of grounding/arcing of the
induction/spark system.  But the car has 6 coils, one on top
of each spark plug.  So the high voltage is pretty isolated and
I've replaced the plugs and cleaned all of the connectors in
that area.  So far no pattern I can tell.

The dealer doesn't seem to have any idea of what the problem
is and will only replace one thing at a time to get to the
bottom of it.  I was just hoping someone had a similar problem
and it turned out to be something like a bad injector or
coil.  I will check out the plugs soon to see if one looks
worse than the others, maybe to isolate the cylinder at least.

Thanks in advance.  Sorry for the long note.
Dave