[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ce frequency scanner/tracker

Cheng Tan,

Lisa's comments were right with regard to the scanner devices - they are
available quite readily at Radio Shack's everywhere, but they really wouldn't
get you any information on speed traps or the like and would be very unlikely
to help you avoid speeding tickets. They are however, a lot of fun, but are
illegal in many states to have in a car. That, of course, doesn't mean it
isn't done all the time.

Back to topic, what you are talking about would be the BCT10, which I own, as
well as the prior model, BCT7 - these pick up what they call "Mobile
Extender" signals so you would know when a nearby (3-4 miles they claim)
police or trooper leaves his car but is still connected by radio to his main
vehicle radio. All you really know is that somewhere very nearby there is a
cop, but that has actually been a very valuable alert to me a number of times
already, although a radar detector does it better.

My thoughts - get a serious radar detector like the Valentine One, AND a BCT7
or 10 for scanning all the fun radio stuff AND getting the mobile extender
signal. That way you're covered both ways, and you get some fun radio scanner
listening in too. And on that note, while the BCT10 is so tiny that it fits
comfortably in my Z3, the speaker quality and volume are AWFUL, so unless
size is an issue (don't say it) then stick with the larger and slighter older
BCT7 - its much more flexible frequency wise besides.... check out Grove's
web site at http://www.grove.net for more details on all of this. (No, I have
no affiliation - just a satisfied customer - Radio Shack is fine too)

Walter O'Brien