[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Crashing 2002's

I've seen my share of wrecked 2002's and have even been in
one while it was happening. A friend of mine crashed his 2002tii
ITA racecar up at Watkins Glen and while it crumpled up to the
pedal box, he was fine. The pedals did bloom out in all
directions after the hit, but he was not injured. We totalled our
2002 rally car by hitting the side of a hill at about 60 mph
broadside. The car hit almost completely flat on its side and
came to a stop almost immediately. The car was narrowed by
about 4 inches, but we walked away with minimal injuries. My
concussion was due more the seat mount breaking and me
being whipped around despite the 5 point harness.

In both cases, the car body took the brunt of the force and the
rollcages never even got touched. I have seen 2002's roll over
and the roofs never collapse to the point of touching the cage. I
have all confidence in these cars.

I can't really compare them to E30's, but most E30's weigh
significantly more that 2002's and that is a factor. Make your own
choices.