[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Dash lights

Wayne asked:

I have an '88 E30 325iS and several interior lights are not working:
  - tach (e.g. speedo works though)
  - gear selector (automatic)
  - right window controls (left works)
  - a few buttons (defrost, ac, etc.)

Wayne, if it's just lights that are blown, most are fairly easy to get at.

The instrument panel comes out fairly easily....less than 10 minutes.
Drop the underdash panel on the drivers side...using a coin or blunt-edged
screwdriver to turn the plastic screws.  Set that aside, and look at the
blank panel that sits below the instrument panel.  It's a one piece panel
that goes over the steering column and to the end of the lower dash.
That's held on by two knurled aluminum knobs, about the size of a nickel,
one on each side of the steering column.  Take your hand and and run it up
behind the panel, and you can feel the knob.  It's just finger-tight, and
they both should come off easily.  That exposes the lower screws that hold
the panel in.  Remove the philips screws that hold the trim piece around
the instrument panel, the two screws that hold the 'wings' at the top edge
of the actual panel are now exposed; remove those and the ones at the
bottom of the panel.  You can then, by pressing down on those 'wings' pull
the panel from the top, down towards you, and expose the back of it.  It's
easier to pull the connectors  (use a small screwdriver and pull up on the
black lock pieces that go across the middle on each connector, and the
connector slides out easily.  They're all color coded, so they go back
easily.
The panel will come out without removing the steering wheel.  If you
struggle with it too much and want to remove the wheel, pry off the roundel
and use a 22mm socket on the nut.  It slides right off then, about a 2
minute job there.
Once it's on your bench, the bulbs are easy to get to.  I forget how many
you'll need, but replace them all.

For the gear selector, remove the console trim piece and look on the right
side.  You'll see the holder and the bulb there.  Easy replacement.

The window controls have been recently discussed on the digest, with using
bulbs from model trains.  I've just pulled the switches out, using a thin
screwdriver, unplugged them, and popped in a new switch.  By the time the
bulbs go, the white markings on the switch are rubbed off,etc..it's not a
lot of money to spend.

A recent E30 I bought had an AC/Recirc switch that would light up, and the
ac button wouldn't stay down.  That's more indicitive of a switch failure,
and not a bulb problem, at least in my case.  Again, prying out the switch
from it's edge, and popping in a fresh one is about a 2 minute job.

Hope this helps,

Jeff