[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Thanks to the people who responded to my request for help on removing the
"throwing star" covers on a 1993 M5 factory wheel.  Here is a compilation of
their responses, FYI.

Subject: M5 wheel wrench

A special dodecagon head service wrench is required to remove bolts attaching
the wheel covers.  I bought mine at NAPA for about $6.  Their part number, I
believe, is 2312.  I will confirm this for you tomorrow when I can get to my
receipt file at my office.  Also, you should be aware that the "turbine" style
wheel covers use a different length bolt (30mm) than the "throwing star"
covers (20mm).

*************************************
Subject: M5 hubcaps

I did the same thing you did, 4 years ago.  The tool you need is
called a 'triple square' driver.  I bought a pack of 4 sizes from the local
car parts shop.  They were made by Lisle, or some similar name that makes
lots of odd ball tools.  I can't remember the size but the pack of 4 , the
only way they sell them, contains the one you need.  They were, if I remember
correctly, about $12.  Later, I bought a nice socket from Snap On,  It was
probably
about $15.  I think you need the 6mm, but I'm not sure.  If you change caps
or replace the bolts, be aware of 2 things.  The different style hub caps
have different length bolts and VERY LITTLE torque is required when
tightening them.  They are easily stripped.  Also, use some locktight on the
bolts to hold them in.

***************************
...NAPA Auto Parts also sells as a service tool the twelve point dodecagon
allen
wrench (BMW's official description, not mine) required to move the five
special twelve point allen bolts under their part number 2302.  I paid $6.49
for mine....
*****
...service advisor at the BMW shop finally called me, after hearing
of the situation, and told me that the simplest way to resolve the problem
was to "do what the dealers do - buy the part from either MAC Tools or
Snap-On Tools."  He even gave me the telephone numbers for the tool dealers.
He did tell me to ask for a "12 point 6mm Allen Wrench."

OK, I called MAC Tools, and Boy-oh-Boy! did I get service!  The salesman
told me that he had what I needed, and offered to drive to my office to show
it to me and confirm that it would fit.  He arrived in about 30 minutes, and
showed me 3 sockets, each with a different size 12 point allen wrench head.
We tested them in the wheel, and found that MAC Tools #SC95 (VW, Front Wheel
Support Screwdriver, 3/8" drive, 11/64, 4.4mm) is the right tool.  The other
sockets (SC104 and SC89) are either too large or too small, but both are
classified as VW Brake/Suspension/CV Joint tools.

The part cost me $11.00 including tax, and came to my door.  I coupled the
socket with a small 5" handle ratchet, and placed both in the trunk of my
car, with the spare tire, which now resides where intended in the storage
compartment under the trunk.

********************************
Subject: <E34 M5> Wheel Cover Bolts

To remove the wheel covers on an E34 M5 you'll need a 6mm 12pt driver.  BMW
refers to these as dodecagon wrenches (which actually means "a plane figure
with 12 angles and sides").  They're available from Snap-on Tools (stock
number FTSM6B) as a 3/8 inch socket driver for about $10 - $15.  Snap-on
calls them "triple square socket drivers."  (Certainly more descriptive!)

If you used a Torx or Allen wrench, without success, I would also replace
the bolts.  I believe they're aluminum and the points are pretty fine to
start with - they strip easily.  Trust me, I speak from experience.  In any
event, the bolts are pretty cheap and it's worth keeping some extras around.

Although the '91 and '93 wheels are the same, only the covers/inserts
differed, the '91 wheels with the functional 3-piece turbines use a longer
bolt (M6x30 versus the M6x20 bolt for the "twisting star" wheel cover).
Make sure you get the correct length.  Also be sure to use Locktite 242 on
the bolt.

Subject: M5 wheel wrench follow-up

Oops.  The correct NAPA part number for the dodecagon wrench is #2302.  I paid
$6.49 for mine.  The 30mm bolts are 36 11 2 226 326 (BMWNA suggested list
$1.33 each), and the 20mm bolts (throwing star covers) are 36 11 2 227 124
(List $ 0.92 each).  Also, to add to Ken's comments, the specified torque is
9Nm or 6.5 ft lbs.  Use Loctite Blue.