[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Need help with an E30 ///M325i (is this a 325is?)

I've got a question about a few E30s I've seen for sale recently, calling
themselves 325i Motorsports.  They appear to be stock 325's, except they come
with M-Tech body kits, and ///M 325i badges on the rear (and an ///M badge
in the front grille, as well as the Motorsport colours on the steering
wheel and gear stick).

Are these cars the same as the E30 325is, which I've seen mentioned on this
list?  I haven't seen any E30's here in New Zealand with 325is badges, so
maybe we got the same car but badged differently?

Anyway, am I correct in assuming that these are slightly mechanically
modified 325's with a body kit?  The reason I'm unsure is that they cost a
_lot_ (in some cases) more than a standard 325i.  (To give you an idea, I've
seen an '87 for $NZ35,000 and a '91 for $NZ55,000, where $NZ1.00 = $US0.68
(or 0.43 pounds) - and where NZ = New Zealand, :).

At those prices you could pick up an E30 M3 (if you could find one - the
roads aren't exactly littered with them down here).

I'm thinking of importing one of these little blighters from England, where
I've seen a few (also being sold as 325i Motorsports) for about 7,500 pounds,
and would really appreciate some answers to a few questions:

  - Does anyone know how these cars differ, mechanically, from the E30
    325i (circa 88-91)?
  - What should I expect to pay for one in England?  (I need right-hand
    drive).  It would preferably be in as-close-to-mint-as-possible
    condition, and with a full service history.
  - Is rust as big a problem in England as I've been told?  I'd be
    buying the car sight-unseen, so I'd like to know what common problems
    I might expect from a British import, rust or otherwise.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to drive one yet...

Oh, while I think of it, what are the chances of picking up an E30 Alpina
or Hartge of the same era?  Will they set me back more than my somewhat
limited supply of arms and legs will allow?

Thanks for any help... it's much appreciated.

Mike.
(mjob002@domain.elided)