[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Leather restoration

Hi Filippo,

<<Then get yourself some Meguiars #3 Medium polish.
		When you have it all, let me know, I'll tell you what
		to do with it - as of last week, I found this approach
		even more effective than the one I wrote up...<<

	Got it!  BTW what grit are those sanding disks that Eastwood sells?  I
have a couple of scratches, 1" to 3", on the windshield supports from the PO
encounter with a low tree limb.

	I am thinking about getting a airbrush, specifically for applying the
Surflex leather dye/coating.  I have seen three manufactures of these things,
Testors, Paasche and Badger.  They range in price from $60 to ~ $100, exclusive
of air compressor, for the single action(airflow and paintflow adjusted with
separate controls) and the double action(airflow and paintflow adjusted
simutaneously with a single button)respectively.  Do you have any experience
with these things?

	I think that the best job on the leather will be to gut the interior and
do everything outside of the car.  That way I will have complete access to all
surfaces, without the worry of other nearby non-leather surfaces being coated.
The door panels, rear seat and center console are obvious as how to remove &
spray.  The seats and the lower dash are not so obvious.  The seats from the
standpoint of moving the seat back once outside of the car, I think I will make
up a harness extender to connect to the stock electrical connector and give me
20' of cable.  The lower dash is potentially more difficult as it is not clear
to me where to start with the removal.  Any suggestions?

Regards,

Joe
'88 ///M5
'74 911S