[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Air Filters...Chapter XXIV

     Food for thought (grab your flame-throwers):

     Scenario:

     We have two filters that have about the same surface area available
     for filtering. Both rely on a maze of fibers to trap particulates from
     the airstream. Both are dry (no oil). One filter flows more than the
     other. Let's call this filter 'Flow'. How does 'Flow' wind up being
     the less restrictive of the two? Answer, it filters less. There are no
     smoke or mirrors here (remember, the surface area is the same). It has
     to filter less. Either 'Flow' has a wider path between the fibers for
     air to flow or the path is shorter for particulates to follow. Perhaps
     both. Either way there is less filtration using 'Flow'. Is there any
     room for debate here?

     We'll fix 'Flow's' lack of filtration problem and just coat the fibers
     with oil. That decreases air throughput slightly, but filtration is
     increased immensely. Essentially all of the larger particulates are
     trapped by their sheer size and now a lot more of the smaller
     particles stick to the oily fibers as they go thru the fiber maze. We
     could use a finer fiber for 'Flow' to filter even better, but
     capillary action of the oil might just totally fill the air gaps. Bad
     idea. This would be very flow restrictive. Still, 'Flow' is less
     restrictive than the other filter. Unless you believe in magic, this
     means that 'Flow' is still filtering less of the smallest particulates
     (can you tell I like the word 'particulates'?).

     Is this a problem? Maybe. Is 'Flow' a bad filter? No. Life is a
     compromise and so are air filters. With surface area fixed, then the
     better flowing filter (good ol' 'Flow') is the right filter, if the
     application calls for maximum airflow. As in - Race use or performance
     street use in relatively clean ambient air. If maximum filtration is
     all important, then 'Flow' might not be the best choice. A filter that
     has 'Filter' as a first, middle, and last name is the right choice if
     maximum filtering is necessary. What comes to my mind? Dusty
     environments or ALL vehicles that are planned (praying, crystals,
     luck, smoke and mirrors might help here) on being driven for hundreds
     of thousands of miles.

     Bottom line: Air filtration is a tradeoff. When you go to one extreme,
     max airflow or max filtration, there has to be a resultant price to
     pay (less filtration or less airflow).

     ------------------
     Two more thought: someone attacked the fact that 'socks' weren't used,
     as a prefilter, for all of the filters in the mining engineer's
     findings (from the FAQ). A prefilter keeps the big stuff (I didn't use
     the 'p' word) from prematurely clogging the filter. Usually,
     prefilters have no effect on filtration of the smallest particulates
     (I had to use it one more time) ;^)

     I'll step down now from my soapbox and put on my flameproof suit. At
     least try to tone down the emotion, if you have to send any return
     'arrows'.

     Barry Ritchey
     mbritch@domain.elided
     CCA#134069