[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:<E36> Stumblint, hestitation, etc.......<E30 M3> stuff

OM: David Skirzenski      PHONE: 744-4872   ID:
SKIRZ
Subject: <E36> Stumbling, backfiring, hesitation

I've had my '92 325i in to the dealer 4 times for a
stumbling,
hesitation and backfiring problem with no success.
<<<<<

Isn't backfiring caused by unburned fuel being
dumped out of the cylinder into the exhaust header,
calatyc converter, muffler,  then igniting?   When I just
bought my E30 M3, I washed the engine bay.  Did the
usual, cover electronics, washed engine, let engine
drip dry for several minutes, run engine at idle for
10-15 minutes to dry engine.  Later that day, after my
car has sit for a few hours more, I tried driving it.  The
engine hestitated, stumbled, backfired, loose power
after it has warmed up.

What happened what a very small amount of water
got into the spark plug well.  There it sit until the
engine heats it up and turn the water into steam.  The
steam covered my spark plug wires plug, and causing
it to arc.  The result was I was running on 3 cylinders,
with the 4th one dumping all the unburned fuel out the
exhaust causing backfires, and loosing power.  I
carefully cleaned the spark plug several times & the
car ran fine after a few tries.

Don't know if this helps, but it might give you clues.
Have you tried checking your spark plug to ID if and
which cylinder might be the culprid?  Most Haynes
manual have pictures of what your spark plug should
look like coming out of a good running engine, and
ones from an engine with problems.
- ----------
I want to all those who helped me with my M3
overheating problem, esp. Paul Marshall for the EMT
diagram.   Turned out, my aux fan connector to the
temp sensor was corroded at the wires.  The shop I
took the car to (for other reasons also) tested the
temp sensor, and it is fine.  They also said that the
water temp guage on BMWs is a bit sensitive.  Is this
true? I checked my coolant temp by sticking a meat
temp guage into the coolant expansion tank after
letting my car sit at idle & temp guage is at & above
3/4 mark.  The water temp is around 196-200 degree
F.  Coming from an MR2 which the temp guage never
moved past 1/2, the BMW made me nervous.
- ----------
On the subject of handling, I like the balance of the
E30 M3.  Couldn't stop grinning after every autox run.
My car is totally stock, right down to the sucky,
squeally Mich XGT-4 (?) tires.  Ballance is good, the
car is neutral, I can usually steer the car by throttle.  I
like it!!!   While balance is good, body roll and steering
response is really poor compared to my MR2.  The
steering wheel & its non-adjustable position sucks.  I
get very little feedback at the wheel & initial turn in is
not as responsive as I like.  I know better tires with
stiffer sidewall would help, but is there something else
I can do?  The car has a bit of body roll right now, I'd
like to eliminate it.  I want to turn it into a razor sharp
handling machine that my stock MR2 is.  I autocross
every chance I get.  Therefore I like to keep the car in
stock class.  I can change tire (not wheel), shocks,
and swaybar.  E30 M3 owners, what are your
suggestion?
Saw (for the first time in Tulsa, OK) another E30 M3.
The gunmetal gray color is impressive.  Makes the
car look very muscular & capable.  I want one!!!

Sorry if this takes up too much bandwidth, but this is a
great group.

anthony