[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: E36 M3 Wheels

>	The parts representative tried to sell me some 17"x7.5" (front) and
>	17"x8.5" (rear) BMW OEM wheels, further suggesting that I use
>	225/45ZR17 (front) and 245/40ZR17 (rear) tires. Now having read all
>	most of the literature and this digest for sometime I recall that
>	the suspension geometry of the 96' M3 was changed "in concert" with
>	the change in wheel/tire combintaions from the 95' which was 17"x7.5"
>	and 235/40/ZR17's all round.
>	So, my question is, to those with greater understanding than I, am
>	I right in my assumptions, and furthermore would such a change result
>	in significant (negative) results in the handling of the car, given
>	that I have Dinan stage III suspension mods on my car (my feeling is
>	that the car would understeer a lot more with the shift in contact
>	patch size etc from front to rear)?
>
>	Thanks
>
>	- Larry.

Hi Larry -

Please let me know what you find out or post it to the digest since I'm
interested in the same setup.  I don't have a Dinanized suspension but
have you checked with Dinan to see what the effect might be?

My '95 M3 came with 7.5" wheels in the front and 8.5" wheels in the
back but with the "standard" '95 tires of 235/40/17s.  When these
original tires wear out, I've been thinking about going to 225/45s or
235/40s on the front and 245/40 on the rear.  I too have wondered
about what it might do with the suspension.  I thought the wider
tires in the back might give me a little more grip.

The only disadvantage is that you can't rotate the tires anymore...
which isn't a big deal since it's a real pain to rotate them now.  If I
want to rotate, I have to have all four tires dismounted and then
remounted.  At about $50 each time.

- -- good luck,

Bob
(robert.vaughn@domain.elided)
'95 Alpine White M3 (14000 miles and I got it one year ago today!)