[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36>Response to Pedal Cover Replacement<E34>

From: NGUYENT@domain.elided
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 15:35 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: <E34> Pedal covers replacement
       Hi folks,
       My 1990 E34 pedal covers are a bit worn, particularly the brake
pedal
     starts to get slippery.  I'd like to replace the cover set with
some
     aftermarket ones, may be larger ones, to better heel-toe (I have
small
     feet, it's hard).
     Does anybody have experience with the Razo or Momo pedal covers?
they
     both look nice in the ads in magazines, but I'm not sure if they
fit
     well with the BMW, specially the throttle pedal.
          The Razo is about $35/set vs $70 for Momo.

     TIA
My car is E36:
 If anyone has tried to look for some affordable pedal pads for their
E36 M3 may know that their is not too much available. AC Schnitzer has
a nice screw on set with diagonal slits cut into it, but is costly at
$275 with the dead pedal at $230. You can get the catalog and picture
from the distributor Claus Ettensberger Corp. At (800)766-0064 (west
office) or (800) 846-1144 (east office). You can probably get a small
discount  by mail order from Bavarian Autosport (800) 535-2002. John
Skaggs has a pictured ad in March 96 Roundel  that looks nice and you
can also get the gas pedal only. He says it is CNC machined from
aircraft quality aluminum billet. You must drill holes to mount pedals.
You can call him at (214) 771-0571.
Many may have seen the set by RAZO (magnesium set) or similar in BMP
Catalog (800) 648-7278 ($80), Korman (910) 275-1494 ($69) both which
show riveted plastic inserts. I have seen the imitations and the
quality is not as good as the Razo which is sold by many  Japanese
performance mail order ads in Turbo or Sport Compact Car magazine.
M-Speed has a picture in Roundel. These have two plastic inserts
screwed in on top of each other and one can be removed to expose the
grips to increase traction, otherwise the pedals feel slippery. The
choice is yours.The gas pedal should fit nicely although it wonÕt cover
the bottom inch, unlike the previous mentioned pads which are custom
contoured. These pads clamp over the rubber pad. The original brake
pedal pad has a lip extending down the gas pedal side which can be cut
off easily with a utility knife. There is some advantage in clamping
over the original rubber pads for shorter people to decrease pedal
reach, especially for the long clutch travel. Other places to call
include Options Auto Salon(800) 678-2886 or Pro-Motion (213) 887-7270.
These places also carry a very sharp appearing Razo pedal sure to get
compliments. It is called Titan set and has a grated stainless steel
mesh insert. IÕm not sure if the body itself is actually titanium. The
shape, fit, and assembly is just like their magnesium series. The only
problem is that the instruction is in Japanese , but the pictures are
pretty much self explanatory. Automatic transmission brake pads are
also available for all Razo pads. I paid $90 locally because I wanted
to be sure of the fit.  They're gorgeous against the black background
of my carpeting & mats.
Finally, Racing Dynamics makes an Aluminum plate foot rest that covers
the entire area and wraps around the edge about half an inch. It is
painted black with punched out dimples for traction. It has no mounting
holes and requires you to drill the holes and screw it in or try double
sided foam tape. I used both. The black color blends in with the kick
panel are does not stand out. They can be ordered through Bavarian
Autosport for $79. Other covers may also be available from Racibng
Dynamic from what I can recall in their new catalog.
Scott H.