[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: <E28> Dome light timer

Paul helps Joe, and I'll add (way at the bottom):

>Subject: Re: Dome light timer
>
>On a question from Joe Fahy;
>
>>Subject: Dome light timer
>>
>>Hi All,  Does anyone have experience with the time delay on the dome light
>>going
>>off?  I beleive that they should stay on for 6-10 seconds after you close the
>>last door.  On my car the lights go out immediately.  TIA
>
>At least on E30s, the interior lights are operated directly by the door
>jamb switches on all but the driver's door, and there is no delay for those
>doors.  The driver's door operates the interior light via a time delay
>relay.  The delay occurs only if the relay has been "armed" by a grounding
>contact on the  outside door handle (so the delay does not occur when the
>driver exits the car).  So if the light comes on when the driver's door is
>opened, but does not remain on for a few seconds after being closed, look
>for a faulty grounding contact on the forward edge of the door handle
>(inside the door cavity).  The edge of the handle rubs a bent copper
>contact.
>
>It *could* also be faulty electronics in the relay, but more people seem to
>have trouble with the door handle switch.
>
>Hope this helps!
>
>Paul Reitz
>BMWCCA #1167

Sometimes, sometimes not. My E28 sometimes DOES leave the light
on for about 10 seconds after EXITING the car.. and sometimes
doesn't and it sometimes does leave the light on when I EMTER the car..
for a short period of time, or until I turn the key.. and sometimes
it doesn't.

If it seems erratic - it is. Never bothered me enough to think
about tracking it down..

I suspect it is SUPPOSED to do both - consistantly.. but..

Best,

Don Eilenberger
Spring Lk Hts, NJ, USA
deilenberger@domain.elided