[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: 2002 safety, roll cages

I spoke to a VW racing type a few weeks ago who said that 2002's were
great cars, but very dangerous to race.  He said he knew of a few
incidents where drivers got into accidents and sustained serious
injuries to their lower legs and feet.  Supposedly the pedal box area
is weak (or maybe it's due to rust on some cars) and it collapses
around the driver's feet.

I have no idea if this is true, but thought I'd pass it along.  There
is no doubt that a car designed in the mid to late 1960s is a long
way from today's cars in terms of active and passive safety.  In an
old car, you are the crush zone!

That said, I still miss my '73 tii.

- --Dan