[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Electronic Deception <All> <A Little Long, Sorry>

Ladies and gentlemen:  Having begun my meager career in electronic
surveillance and deception I will provide the following information.

First, I will begin with the statement that it is against Federal Law to
use the electromagnetic spectrum to violate the law.

The use of electronic surveillance began in WWII against the Germans and
has significantly evolved since that point.  The technology that existing
Radar Detectors are using is effectively late 1970s Military Technology
(albeit miniaturized), but you will probably not see a vast improvement in
it any time soon (although I am somewhat intrigued by the Direction
Finding capability of the Valentine unit).  Fact is, you are not going to
beat instant on radar or lasar.  We did use like technology to detect
missiles in about .00001 seconds, but missile flight time is 2-3 minutes
so you can react.  In a car when they get you, it is too late.  So my
prediction is: what you got is probably as good as what you're going to
get, although you may get a little more range on constantly transmitting
units, but we are probably approaching the limits of physics (line of site
and all that).  Also, the anti-detection units are worth it, but they
should have all been like that to start (basic premise of electronic
surveillance, don't want them to know you're listening and they can tell
you are with an inferior receiver).

It is a relatively simple matter to either indicate to a police radar that
you are going 0 or a specific set speed.  Or it could be set up to provide
a variety of speeds in a specified or random sequence.  Or if it were a
sophisticated Radar system, we could make it think we were somewhere else.
The problem with doing this is that, if they know what they're doing, it
won't take them very long to figure out what you're doing since for the
most part you must transmit a signal to deceive them (or you could put
crumpled aluminum foil all over the car and try to scatter the signal or
even better glue Radar Absorption Material (RAM) all over your car and go
stealth.)  If you try active deception and you're lucky they'll confiscate
your machine.  If you're unlucky you could be an example prosecuted under
Federal Law for use of this spectrum for lawbreaking.

I've watched this for about 30 years and we do something, the other guys
(Russians) figure it out, so we do something else, and they figure it out.
ad infinitum.  I am seeing the same situation with this Radar
detector/deceiver situation.

Finally, I have some good stories about how we used to knock out the Viet
Cong targetting systems in the Tonkin Gulf, which could be useful for the
REAL diehard anti-Radar folks.  E-mail me separately and I'll give you
some tips.

Sorry for so much bandwidth, but this is interesting stuff.

Jim, LCDR, USN-Ret, Elex/LDO, Only Arrayed Broadcast Television Antenna in
the DC Metro area

PS:  I have stayed out of this in the past as I feel it is inappropriate
to use this techonolgy to break the law.  The bad news is, you try and use
it and they are going to pay some guy like me to get you.

James M. Dodmead (Jim)			Network Engineering and
nets@domain.elided				Technical Services (NETS), Inc.
O 301.854.5503				14825 Burntwoods Road
F 410.489.7508                          Glenwood, MD  21738