[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: fan clutch

>I am trying to replace the fan clutch in my E30 and have the nice 32mm
>wrench necessary but that damn nut won't budge. Bentley states to give it a
>sharp whach with the heel of your hand and it comes right off. BULLS#$%! my
>hand is bruised and that thing is still on. the belt slips on the pulley and
>it is tight. Is there anything to hold to keep everything still?
>Sean
There is a tool to keep the pulley from turning.  It is a simple metal
bar with two holes which interlocks with bolt heads on the fan pulley.
I bought mine from Nobel (check the Roundel).  You could also try
wedging a large screwdriver between two bolts on the pulley.
And don't forget, the fan clutch has a reverse thread bolt.
Other helpful hints:
  Remove the clips that hold the fan shroud, and slip a piece of cardboard
    between the fan and radiator.  This protects the radiator and your hands.
    Remove the fan and shroud together.
  Store the new fan clutch upright (like it will be installed).  I've been
    told laying it down will shorten it's life -- I don't know for sure,
    but can't hurt.
Clyde
'84 325e