[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Schroth Shoulder Belt mounts

Don Stevenson wrote:

>     I am installing a set of schroth (rally 3)shoulder belts in a 1988
>     325IS with the stock recaro sport seats.

>     The directions tell me I can use the C or the D piller to mount the
>     tail strap. I would like to use the D piller mount (its at the bottom
>     of the back of rear seat, where the female ends of the stock rear
>     belts connect).

>     How do I expose the mounting bolts to attach the tail straps? There
>    seems to be a plastic housing there in the middle of the rear seat,
>     how do I get this off? Any tips would be appreciated.

You don't need to remove the plastic housing in the middle of the rear seat,
but you do need to remove the bottom of the rear seat.  On your car, the
bottom part of the seat comes out by pulling up on the lower end of the front
of the seat (the seat is held in place by snap mounts, not bolts).  Once the
front part is loose, pull the seat toward the front of the car and remove it.

You will then see the bolts that hold the stock belts in place.  Bolt the
Schroth belts in place using the bolts supplied with the Schroth belts.  They
are a little longer than the OEM bolts to make up for the extra thickness of
the belt hardware.  You can just add the Schroth ends to the OEM belt ends
and but the bolt through them.  That way, you can keep the stock belts in
place.  When you don't need to use the Schroth belts, just pull the seat out
again and stuff the Schroth belts under the seat.

BTW, the stock bolts that hold the OEM belt in place on the front seat and
floor can be replaced with eyebolts that will allow you the attach the
Schroth belts to the eyebolt with a "quick link" (available at any hardware
store; the 5/16" size will fit).  Then when you don't need the Schroth belt,
just undo the quick link and remove the belt.  The OEM belt is left in place.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bob Stommel

     BMWCCA Boston